Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What's the Secret?

Have you ever felt out of the loop?  Has it ever seemed as though you were the last one to know anything?  Have you ever felt prompted to ask what someone about whatever it is that seems to be so secretive?  

The reality is that many if not all of us have been there.  By nature, we like to know what is going on and feel as though we are a part of the "inner circle."  But, how often do we assume there is some secret or that we are missing something when in reality we are not missing anything at all?  I experienced this today in prayer.

This afternoon I laid on my face in our church sanctuary in prayer to the Lord and began to tell Him that I felt stuck and that I was certain i was missing something.  I found myself asking Him over and over what it was that I was missing.  In that moment, I was fully expecting some fabulous and fresh new revelation from Him allowing me to realize something that nobody had ever known or seen.  Yes, I know . . . just a bit dramatic.

However, let me tell you what happened.  I rose from the floor hearing or sensing nothing from the Lord.  As I sat on the front row of chairs, I heard that familiar voice/prompting from God speak to me one verse of Scripture.  I didn't necessarily want to turn there, because it was a Scripture I know and one I have used many times with people.  Yet, being on the receiving end from God didn't seem or feel so wonderful.  I am not saying that God was drilling or heavily rebuking me.  But, what happened to me today was that God offered me an all important reminder.

The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.  Deuteronomy 29:29

I realized in that moment that so often we spend our prayers and our time trying to discover the latest and greatest from God, all the while forgetting that HE IS THE LATEST AND THE GREATEST.

The Lord reminded me that instead of looking for and hoping for something new and fresh, I need to be mindful of and obedient to the things He has already shown and given to me.  The things which have been revealed to my heart by God already are plenty to keep me occupied until He comes.  I don't need to be caught up looking for something else.  

I used to say often that we need to walk in the light in which we have.  That rings true in my heart again today.  God has revealed so much to me in my life through His Word and through my relationship with Him.  He does not need to share a secret with me.  He needs me to be obedient to what He has already made plain to me.  

Now, I am not saying there aren't other things from or about God that He won't reveal to me in His time.  What I realized today is that I don't need to get so caught up pursuing the new things, but rather embrace and obey what He has revealed to me already so that I will position myself to receive from Him when He is ready to impart to me something fresh and new.

Earlier today I thought I was stuck and needing to wait to hear from God.  The reality, however, is that I simply need to move forward in obedience and with resolve in light of what He has already spoken to me.

5 comments:

Lindy said...

Rodney, great word to remember. I have been experiencing the same thing. I have been preaching lately the simple everyday stuff He told us a long time ago. Sometimes by looking for the latest and greatest and different interpretation of the scripture, we forget to just preach what it says. Last week I simply preached on kindness. This Sunday was a reminder to not fall away. Something the writer of Hebrews tells us 6 times in 13 chapters. Peter and Paul also speak on it... a lot. I kind of figured if these guys keep repeating it, it would probably be good if I just preached on it as is. The longer I preach the more I realize how hard I have been making it.
Lindy

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

LaDonna Nolden said...

This was good for me to see. I just shared w Chris that I have felt like "dry bones" for about two weeks. I need to start writing down what the Lord has given me so that I can refresh myself over and over when I do go through "dry" spells. Yes, not everything is the mountain top experience, there are valleys between the mountains but it's in the valleys that I really start to seek and pursue Him. By the way, I'm looking forward to the book of James on Wed. evenings!! See ya there!

Unknown said...

Living one day at a time is so important. Sometimes I must make myself conscious to the fact that I am living in the good reign of the good God, right here, right now.All I have I need and the rest I'm learning in the moment. If I do not remain obedient to the things I know God has already directed me to do, I will miss my opportunity to be prepared for the next "adventure" (as Josiah so eloquently put it). I must remain in an attitude of gratitude, conscious obedience and patient acceptance of where I am here and now. There is much to be learned in the "mundane" things of life.It takes a certain level of maturity to handle nothing going on, in my opinion, and that level of maturity begets greater ability to handle more important missions and greater blessings. Moses was prepared for his greatest assignment by hanging out in the desert. Without that would he have been ready to lead his people out of Egypt and all that followed? Plants which get too much water die. There MUST be periods when the ground dries in order for plants to thrive. I believe that it's the same for us. Even if I don't like it. Great blog, Pastor.

Cathy Biggerstaff said...

Thanks for your thought provoking writing. Loved and needed the advice of this blog. Keep up the good work!

Post a Comment