Friday, May 2, 2014

My Ministry Mistakes

Time for some transparency. I have made so many mistakes in ministry since starting in 1997. I thought I would outline what I consider my biggest ones in this blog.  This is not an all -nclusive list as there are years of ministry still ahead. Neither is this list in any particular order.  I simply felt prompted to share these with you.

1. I have been guilty of trying to have ministry establish my personal relationship with Christ.  Can never happen. It is much better to minister out of your relationship with Christ.

2. I have viewed people and tasks in the same way.  Not healthy. Tasks deserve efficiency. People deserve effectiveness.

3. I have treated everyone the same. I have learned the way I communicate with someone needs to be adapted based on my relationship with them.

4. I have forgotten that everyone is the apple of God's eye, and the pride and joy of their parents. I really blew this one in youth ministry.

5. I have taken on a Messiah complex. My job is to lead people to the Savior, not be their savior.

6. I have ministered out of preconceived ideas instead of God's Word.

7. I have assumed my own greatness and not been teachable. Not being teachable renders me unable to teach.

8. I have done ministry without God's involvement. At times I didn't even check with Him at all.

9. I have viewed people as enemies instead of allies.

10. I have burned bridges with my words and actions that had taken blood, sweat and tears to build.

11. I have taken myself way too seriously.

12. I have underestimated myself.

13. I have given more attention to the kingdom of darkness than I have to the Kingdom of God.

14. I have forced my agenda while calling it vision.

I am sure this list will grow. For now I will stop. Hopefully my mistakes will help someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment