Saturday, August 9, 2014

Where Do I Stand?

Recently I have found myself riveted by a verse of Scripture. It is a simple yet profound verse found in Luke 1. Listen to how Gabriel introduces himself to Zecheriah. 

And the angel answered and said to him, “I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring you these glad tidings. (Luke 1:19 NKJV)

Gabriel declares himself to be one "who stands in the presence of God."  What a powerful job description. I cannot think of anything better to be able to say about what I do. Imagine handing someone a business card that says you stand in the presence of God. Instead we always give cards that declare that we stand in various positions for God or for ourselves. 

Gabriel is God's messenger who He sends to declare important information to His people. That is because he stands in God's presence. 

If you are one who stands in the presence of God, you will be one He entrusts to stand in the presence of men with a message from Him. 

As a pastor I have the privilege of preaching God's Word, but that is not what I mean. Am I one who stands in His presence and am I therefore sent by Him with His message?  My heart is challenged by this idea. I do not what to declare my ideas. I want to declare God's message. I can do so if I am one who stands in His presence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment